Are we ready to see Gay-ism on the screen ? Are we ready to accept homosexualism in India ? Quite a few of movies have depicted the characters on silver screen more recently Fashion and Dostana (they pretend, not are in reals). Movies are fine, but they aint reality. How about the real lyf ? How would we react on seeing 2 lesbians or 2 gays ? Modernists might leave them unattended as they believe in “To each its own”.
Traditionalists would fume. They would cry over split moralities and fading values. In short over react. Feminists would advocate in favor of homosexuality (lesbians to be precise). MCPs would cringe and they would favor too.
Is it possible in India with closed society to accept homosexuality ? It may be possible in open liberal minded metros like Delhi, Bangalore or Mumbai homosexuals might get some liberty and flaunt their relationships. Imagine their plight in the small towns of Tier II cities like Ahmedabad, Chennai, Hyderabad or Pune ? In this cities homosexuality isn’t going to get support. And the reaction of the onlookers would be pathetic and some stern comments would sure be hurled in public to the people.
Now the other question that comes to my mind is that is homo being out of choice or divine ? Divine in the sense that has GOD made them this way ? I cringe on this thought when somebody says GOD made them this way. How come GOD comes into picture here. Does it ? Humans are born out of biological process (I hated Biology in class IX) and there is nothing GOD could do in here. When these people grow, the influences they come under, the people they touch base and situations. I feel homosexuality is all about personal choice. Seeing whom a person gets attracted (A man or woman) or what makes a person ka dil go dhak dhak and ga gaa over the other person. ‘Normal’ people would get attracted to opposite sex. But then again it’s a clichéd classification. Normal or abnormal. Its all relative and very subjective.
To sum up, being homosexual or straight is out of choice and it gotta be respected. Cos the persons involved take this decision out of conscious thinking and ready to accept consequences.
11 comments:
I say "Whats the big deal?".
I have come across gay men in hyd too and also in chennai. :)
I think it is NORMAL and not ABNORMAL if a man loves a man or a woman loves a woman...but then its my personal opinion.
Even in the IT organization I work for gays,lesbos and transexuals are encouraged to come out of the closet.
I am fine with the concept of homosexuality even when I am straight and so called "NORMAL"... Homosexuality is a choice... and nopes no one is born gay...it is a choice and a feeling that develops as you grow up.
I respect and treat gays the way I treat any straight person... and not all gays r the way they r portrayed in sleazy hindi movies...they r handsome, attractive and sexy and at times u cant even believe it until they tell u abt their sexual preference...
So all the Hindi movie thing is bull-shit.
I am the one for gay-rights and marriages. May be am a loner in this section in this case...but i do believe strongly abt it.
Thanks for bringing this up.
hmm I feel ppl hav become more open to themselves so they hav started forming such homo communites..coz earlier on ppl never agreed to it and even if such thots came they used to neglect it but now samvedansheelta has come in..
i haven't encountered any gay person until now...atleast that's what i know...but i don't think it's going to make difference.
i'm always going to judge ppl by their behavior rather than sexual preference.
but ppl outside are not so broad minded yet...it vud take time b4 gays are whole heartedly supported.
a choice is a choice , just like i like coffee & my mom likes tea .& unless it harms u , there's nothing to oppose it . as for gayism being accepted in India , hmm i guess 1st of all we'll have to get the cliches like the one u cited " wo god ke marzi ke khilaaf ja rahe hai" i mean has anyone asked god?
HEY!!
i agree totally- it is choice n we gotta respect tht..
God hasnt created it, nature made man n woman as complements to each other tht is they complete each other, but if sum1 finds thier soulmate in the same sex, it is perfectly all ryt..
yeah i too watched fashion n the way the fashion designer opted out was unethical, but it was sumthn, tht covered everythin up- his mothers desires n a womans too.. not overlooking their own desires too.. i havent watched odstana yet, but "now i pronounce you chuck and larry" which is said to b the original inspiration behind it was juz too hilarious n lovely too..
n btw, thnx for dropping by n keep visiting :)
I fail to understand why does it bother ppl so much in the first place!!its somebody's personal choice and as far as it involves two consensual adults i really dont see any problem in this...yeah i think its the most difficult thing for the family to accept this. This was depicted very nicely in Fashion where Sameer Soni has to marry Mugdha Godse jus to keep a face in the society and to please his mom. It becomes very difficult of the family doesnt understand.....thts the most trying time for somebody who is a homosexual. I knw one thing for sure....tht no matter how much ever ppl say tht it doesnt matter.....it does raise eye brows and it always will coz its something different from the usual.
Thanks Firebolt. I never knew there was a genetic theory involved here. (I feel like a fool now :( )
hey Harshi, why do u gotta feel like a fool here....Firebolt has put his/her opinion out here....and we gotta respect it if not agree/disagree to ti........
u dont gotta be feeling the way u felt........
Yeah! Sameer. But after reading her comment, I read more about it and thts true there hv been theories floating around that homosexuality is genetic.
So I think, I commented on it without even being aware abt the same...thts why... :)
Waisey bhi its not too easy to confess being a fool in situations ;)
Hey Harshi, i appreciate your courage to accept it, but i seriously feel its not worth.....many reasons for the same , the first being not much R&D is being done into the root cause out on this topic by us. 2nd we aint sure if thats true....
So may be we accept this theory as a fact with a pinch of salt and pepper.....
awesome post...will u be watching the movie..??
if u do...do post a review!
Post a Comment