Sunday, February 1, 2009

Socializing @ Crosswords Book Store

Some body said to me during a intimate Google chat that a best way to find a relationship this days is to go in a book shop notably Crossword or so and hang in there. I was like what the heck is this idea ? I have been a regular visitor to the Crossword book store in Pune. Got this serious hobby of going to Crossword religiously once every weekend and many times even after the office hours in Mumbai in 2004. Since then I have got plenty hundreds of books, mostly Indian fiction. I started with Richard Bach’s famed Jonathan the seagull book, but lost interest in it as it was too complex, too preachy and too fussy. Atlas Shrugged, fountain head were another ones which I dropped in the middle. Alchemist didn’t appeal to me. Eleven Minutes was good book. I read that in deepest crisis period, so related to it even more. Shantaram was another bellweather book but since 11/26 happened, I detest reading Mumbai. So lost it too. Harry Potter is kid stuff. Not for me. Paulo Coelho for me is a boring author and too complex for me to get through. No offence meant to any of fans who read me. It’s an individual choice after all. I got the first taste of Indian fiction from Chetan Bhagat : One night @ Call Center, which for me is his best creation. I also read 5 Point someone and 3 mistakes of my life. Latter was let down and 5 point was good.

And thereafter its mostly the Indian fiction, that I buy. More so the relationship oriented ones. The ones in which the central lead is in mess, overcomes relationship problems and finally triumphs. May be the way I have been living my life all this years inspire me to go read such books. The latest one I read “Everything happens for a reason” to “You are here” to “A piece of cake” to “Something of a mocktale” to “Unaccustomed Earth” walk on the same theory. I love this kinda books and can read them 100000 times. Each time with same enthusiasm and vigor.

Ok coming back to the relation between Crossword and relationships here is an interesting theory . The text below is for fun and should not be taken in offensive way by any of my female readers.

If you are single and an avid book reader and you are a boy, then you should go to such a crossword outlet which is in a mall and is very huge. For example : Gold Mariplex in Pune or ICC, Pune. Garuda in Bangalore and one more (name I forgot), G-7 in Bandra (W), Mumbai. Ok once you reach the mall and the crossword outlet, go and stand in the romantic books section. It’s a fact that mostly single and ready to mingle girls / guys go to this section looking for books on the topic. Once you find that the girl has chosen a particular book say for example Chetan Bhagat ’s book, strike a conversation say by saying a simple hello and enquiring about the author and his works. Suggesting her about other good reads if she is picking his book for first time or asking for good works if you are picking it for first time. And if luck by chance goes well here, you can for sure go on talking and talking. Books initiate deep conversations.

Next step after initiating the conversation : go and have a coffee together in the outlet in the crossword or else look for another coffee joint. Coffee helps big deal in forging and strengthening the relationships. And if chemistry is good, call and talk, sms and then the subsequent stage : lunch or dinner. And if that goes well and if you are sure either of them (boy or girl) if you are (girl or boy) (read in that order, I favor straight relationships, no no I also stand for “gay rights”, to each his own) is single and not committed / engaged / semi-engaged /married/semi-married pop up the question. Damn good chances that relationship will flourish cos books always ignite passion and initiate good deep conversations. And whats a better weekend getaway than a book shop if you have that penchant for reading the books. (Now I should say both of them).

I never went to Crossword with my ex cos she wasn’t intellectually inclined and she had no penchant for reading books. She was bit more crooked and only thing interested her was the ego battles and how to find faults in me to keep her silent treatment going on and on. In that sense my brother was lucky when he was in India (now he is in USA). He is a good reader too and he is more inclined towards political readership (which I m too, but don’t read). He has got good books collection esp the biographies from LK Advani, Jaswant Singh (on 1999 Kandhar Hijack) and of course evil Pervez Mussharaf (of Pakistan). I prefer Indian fiction or for that matter relationship books. I am a diehard romantic. And would always be. So he and his wife (who reads me) often went to Crossword @ ICC, Pune for books and I always ran into them. Of course I didn’t disturb their hunt for books.

Now one more theory goes here.

If a girl is engaged / committed she would always go and look for business management kinda books and self help books (ex : How to keep relationship strong and stuff like that).

If a girl is married, then well she always go and look for “Art, Interior decoration, food, travel, household, baby care, parenting kinda books”.

I don’t know how much of this is true, but this is one set of classification. Yesterday I tried out the suggestion to go n find out the relationship if it begins @ Crossword. I went to ICC, Pune and found that there was a book launch. It was “True Dummy” by Ashish Jaiswal. I had the invite, but book wasn’t my types. So I didn’t bother. A renowned Marathi actress was the chief guest. So even more reason to stay away. Last time I had been to crossword to attend a book launch was for Preeti Shenoy s book (Just a mother of two is her famed blog). I had a chance to meet her and greet her and get an autograph on the book. Book launches, blogger meets and Tweetups are my favorites ways to socialize and meet like minded people. Who knows I might find the elusive relationship in one of such meetings. You never know when cupid would strike you and how.

14 comments:

Mads said...

hehe interesting post...i never knew that...got a point there...will see wat i can do at crossword next time :P

Gauri Mathur said...

Hey Sam..
check that zat tag...:)

Sneha Shrivastava said...

kabi dimag mai aaaya hee nahi esa bhi ho sakta hai.:)

abhishek said...

Love guru...aapko maan gaye....bas aise hi funde dete rahiye...

RiĆ  said...

he he tht was an interesting post buddy! :) nice tips for ppl.

Anonymous said...

thank u ria, good idea for singles like me :)

Anonymous said...

sure gauri ;)

Anonymous said...

sneha, out of box thinking :)

Anonymous said...

aur abhisehkji, aap foollow karte rahiye :)

Anonymous said...

hey mads, try it :)

Chakoli said...

hahahhahaha

LOL....

so much philosphyiess now a days... and theories...


:PP

Anonymous said...

All this happens in a book shop???I never knew.
Funny I dont think I will ever be able to go into a book shop without glancing over my shoulder to see who is nearby!!!lolz

Anonymous said...

hey chakoli, welcome back and how were ur holidays :)

Anonymous said...

e1 somebody few days back told me N :)