How many times have you stood up for yourself ? How many times you have put foot down on something you didn’t want to do? How many times you have gone with your gut feeling or what we call instincts or intuition? How many times you have went ahead giving two hoots to the enormous pressure on you from multiple ends with what you wanted to do ? When you are faced in this situation, you are usually countering two options:
1. Either you please others and make them happy. In the process leading to make yourself unhappy and grumpy. A feeling of “Why did I nod for this when I wanted to say no” grips you later but then there is very little you can do then. You cannot change the things at later stage, that is life main there is no Control Z as it is in Microsoft softwares.
2. Else you displease all and please yourself. This is again a very confusing state. Many times, the “all” might contain your near and dear ones including very close people. Bypassing their opinion or what they want you to do could be very uncomfortable for you to do. But then its gotta be done. Finally it boils down to “yeh meri life hai”. Even if its my life, its affected by the stakeholders around (read folks, friends, siblings, relatives). In the long run even if things turn bad as per what you expected, you get a solace out of the feeling that you chose your own way and you then own up the responsibilities for the failure or things turning sour. The same thing isn’t the case in the first point when you bypass your feeling to please others or you succumb to the others’ opinion.
Many times life throws interesting and difficult choices in front of you. Those decisions are very crucial for your future happiness. Who wants to lead an unhappy life? Who wants to remain grumpy throughout life? Life isn’t a movie or reel which has happy ending automatically. You gotta make your life the way you want to live it. Be it out of compromises, be it out of tough choices, be it out of being stern and stubborn on your own chosen path. Your life depends on the decisions you make and the choices you follow. When you feel that you deserve the thing, stand up for it despite whatsoever opposition you might face. You can still say that the happiness is best achieved by hurting as less people as you can, but there is nothing more paramount in the life than your own happiness and your success. When you are happy and successful, the stakeholders of your life would automatically be successful and happy.
I learnt to stand up and stand by my decisions very recently. I decided to go my gut feel only recently. I learnt not to buckle up under pressure even though the short term consequences could be real bad, but trust me, the long term picture would always be good and rosy. No one but my old project could teach me this. Stand up for yourself and fight for what you think is right. Your opinion stands the right to be counted and given a damn thought before acceptance / rejection. Being assertive is the first step to success in any venture – be it a professional or personal. I am just passing through another phase where I m caught up with the choices again and this time I am firm and damn sure / arrogant / rude that I would go by my instincts and what my gut feel says. After all as they say yeh meri life hai. My individualism and independence never got stronger than what it is right now.
And yes I am back on this blog.
16 comments:
A big Zero i guess from me for all the times u asked hw many !! but then when i reached the end of the post, i smiled and nodded coz i did learn to say 'No' at times and i felt happy later abt it ..
And .. welcome back :)
its difficult to say "no" many a times.but then wen 1 reaches xtremes,he/she has 2 learn 2 refuse.a thot-provoking post here...
Welcome back!!
I know wat u mean..have been there done that...and more often thn not i have ended up choosing option 1...do i regret it? Not yet...Only time will tell :)
welcome bakk...
abt choices..
there r some choices in which we feel happy coz we r making others happy...sometimes tat too matters :)
all else I agree :)
hey good to hav u back!!and wht u wrote is so inspiring for ppl to stand up for wht they want. :)
Abt these choices...
I chose option 1 for the most part of my life... although most of the times option 2 is very tempting... I finally cave in to option 1... I suck bigtime when im under pressure...
It's so difficult to say 'no' especially when people expect you to say 'yes'. Glad to know you have finally learnt how to.
Yeah Dhanya, i learnt it very very hard way. Better late than never.
Glad u agreed PJ
Its so tough to say no Prats. But when we do we feel great.
yes anwesa, when tipping point comes u gotta stand up and blink.
good thing shanu, u have never got to regret abt ur decisions.
thanks ria
same here arun. ditto!!
dont worry, as long as you follow your own advic 'Being assertive is the first step to success in any venture – be it a professional or personal', youll be fine!
Take care!
thanks serendipity for droppin by my blog. you say it right. being assertive wud be the key to further success.
Post a Comment