Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Heart Breaking Stuff and a trip down memory lane to school day exams!!

It’s a heartbreaking story again. Though some success still comes in the picture, but it almost blurs out the holistic picture. Total result stands out as failure and not as expected. When you miss anything by say 1 % or 1 mark or even within a whisker, it rankles. At best can be termed as bad luck. Luck can’t be blamed if it happens for 2 exams in row. Last fortnight I had missed out Java certification exam by 2 marks or 3 %. Today I missed out on the PM Elite certification (process management in software projects) by 1%. Passing was 65% and I got 64%.

Multiple choice have never been my forte. I have always faltered in them. Engineering entrance was a failure 2 times in a row 12 years back. Could never crack the GATE to be in a range where I could get good PG insti (read IIT). If it was a descriptive exam to write the answers, I am up for it. I always stood amongst the toppers all through my school and college. I could elaborate the descriptive papers like no one. Write, write and write. Though not taking too many supplementary copies like some people do to impress the examiner. I did basic decorating stuff like draw ruler lines on both sides of the page, underline the question mark, number, write PTO at the end and all that stuff. Few of my competitors in school who were girls decorated like hell. I couldn’t never do that. They had multiple color pencils and pens. I always believed blue / black is for you, red is for the checker and the green lies for the principal. But few of my classmates used all this colors with huge discount. Of course the impression helped. The teachers were intelligent enough to gauge whose answer copy it was by studying the writing. May be some bias helped, but when it came to MATHEMATICS, I ruled.

Guptas and we (me and my cousins) ruled the batch of 98. Me and my cousin alternated with the top rank. And then it was Gupta’s. Kirti and Manisha. Amazing hand writing, amazing Hindi vocab and overall good impression. Needless for me to say we always were at loggerheads during early school days only to laugh at when we reached the stage at 12th to part the ways. Lost the touch thereafter only to come to know that Manishaji is in my own company and Kirtiji is a collector in some district in MP (she cracked tough IAS). And wow, myself a lousy Programmer Analyst in Indian IT company and my cousin a smart about to be manager in MNC based in Chicago.

My exam began at 930 AM. I had been in the exam mindset since today morning. Got up @ 530 Am and read out Servlets – the topic I missed out last time. Also chatted with my niece Aishu online on gtalk. In the long run the topic didn’t help much in scoring. First exam was PM elite till 1030 AM and then next one to follow was Java Bridge from 1030 to 1130 AM. I began the exam Sehwag way – bang bang boom. Done in 25 mins. Double check in next 5 mins and at 32 mins I clicked submit with a hope to clear it. The result said it was heartbreak for me. Yet again. 64 %. 1 short of passing.

Being out at 1005 AM with 25 mins to go for the next exam, I went to the food court dejected and had a Butter Milk to pep myself up. Next exam I sat till the last second of 60 mins and analyzed and analyzed. Chopped off the sure questions, double checked the doubtful ones. In the end when I clicked submit, I got the error message “Exception while saving to the database. Please retry”. After checking with Admin, I came to know of the result. It said 72% and I cleared the exam. Cut off was 65%. I was relieved.

2008 even in its parting stage stamped up its authority for me. A year of misses and near hits. Near hits in the sense I made up almost only to lose in the end. Something which I have to rectify in 2009 and be like India team of 2008 in 2009. My first new year resolution comes in form of a defeat……

15 comments:

abhishek said...

Aww...the near misses hurt the most...all the best for 2009

Nidz said...

:( :( :(

Priya Joyce said...

I know tat how it feels..re..tats y wen after 12th i cud giv both AIEEE and AIPMT I didn't attempt even one..humph!!

ahh!

sad tat u haven't come over it yet
:(

niway a happy new yr to u re

:)

I'll try 2 be truthful said...

mera net abhi theek hua :D , yaar i love maths , but sadly the authorities have thought of doing away with it :(. thank god atleast someone said that he likes MATHS otherwise eveyone goes blank or makes wierd faces !!.
this one was a good post about the failures & all , arre so what if u didn't get through IIT , u still are going great.

All the very best for the coming year:)

Sneha Shrivastava said...

I can understand how u must be feeling .:(
BTW sameer i received one award from you i.e "E for excellent " wala and its there on my blog.:)

joie de vivre said...

yeh competitive mein mere sath hamesha gadbad hoti..
nyways m hapy d way things r,its d best i suppose..

u kno sameer bure ke baad kuch bura nai hota..
al d bst
wish u gud luck

Amrita~Ams said...

same same same...
competitive hoti isliye hai :(

nyays..
best luck for 2009..
enjoy n tc :)
~amrita

Anwesa said...

well,may u get ur share of success in 2009.gud luk.

Anonymous said...

thanks abhishek

Anonymous said...

i know nidhi it was awful!!

Anonymous said...

PJ the DJ, it was mixxed bag for me, but the 1% mark failure rankles me....

Anonymous said...

sneha, i got it. i thot i had given the independence wala award!!!

it really feels bad on failures like this!!

Anonymous said...

Neha, lakh take di baat kahi he....
bang on!!

Anonymous said...

thank u amrita :)

njoi the break!!

Anonymous said...

thank u anwesa