Thursday, April 30, 2009

Is Blogger gender centric ?

Is blogger gender biased? I mean does a lady blogger get more visits than say a man blogger ? I hate to draw a conclusion here. More so depends on the quality of the blog and the networking skills of the blogger (be it lady or man), but still somewhere does gender comes into play? Not just visits, but comments also. I am not being a chauvinistic pig out here neither I am playing down the existence of feminism here, so please no commenting on that stuff or war on that front. Just a thought that crossed my mind, so putting it here for a discussion.

When I read a new blog, it doesnt matter to me if the blogger is a male or a female. I just look if the content appeals to me or not. And if it does irrespective of the gender, I go and connect myself. I am not sure how many others do the same. My genre of writing is basically fun oriented or relationships or ranting out of my daily life experiences. At times events like e11/26 or stuff like that appeal me too.

Do you feel a gender plays a role in getting more comments on a blog? What is that you think is the factor that gets more comments? I dont believe on hopping 100 blogs, not reading the stuff and saying "Nice blog, please do visit mine". I hop a 30 odd blogs and read them either in google reader when busy and then drop on blog and comment. Else go the blog n comment.

Let me know your thoughts.

30 comments:

Anwesa said...

i dont think gender comes into play wen u post a comment.the content has to be eyecatching.for example,if i come across a blog having content like linux programming/any topic wich i don wanna read,i skip it.instead if ders a simple write up about sum1's xperience,i read it coz i come here to relax,not to stuff my mind.

Mads said...

naah i dont believe in this discrimination...content matters a lot...
and yeah, i hate it too,when people say, nice blog, visit mine too and post their link...so irritating :|
sorry for not being in touch wid ur blog...been busy wid exams for the entire month :(

Me said...

Content is what matters the most...At least for me, it does not make any diff if the author is a guy or a gal...

I think it is more to do with men...hehe... they love hitting on women bloggers...LOL

Pallav said...

hey..is it so...
but i dont think so..
i feel if any reader can relate to the blogger content.....
the subject, message etc..
ths all matters..
i think most of the people agree with ths...
Please note thr r very few loon n crazy people who does like tht..
anyways... i m not tht..
hv fun...
Cheers :)
Pallav

J said...

to a certain extent it does....
I often feel that a female blogger gets more comments even if her content is not as good. But I won't like such ppl to comment on my blog who consider gender more important than content...their comments don't matter....
I often get comments on my blog from girls who "like" me and want to register their presence....but if I say no, they stop commenting. So, they didnt actually like my content in the first place...so am better off without their fake comments.

Anonymous said...

I agree with everyone except 'J'. J is an exception to the rule.. the rule is the content is all that matters.. and ofcourse the way you connect to your readers..

i feel it is very embarassing going and living my blog's link in others' comment box without reading them..and just ask them to visit me..


i'd like to bring to notice that chriz leaves his link below every comment but that is for his regular readers, new readers, and even the old or new ones he reads.. so he is an exception again and it suits him...


so my point is gender doesn't count..

when i go bloghopping, i look for stuff i can relate to or at least i should be able to make sense out of it...some time two lines hit you real hard and can't stop coming back to that space..

i can go on and on.. on this topic.. :P but i guess what i said i have made my point.. thank you for this post.. a discussion on this topic is worth it... :D

Anonymous said...

leaving* (don't mind my typo errors)

RiĆ  said...

i dont think gender matters when it comes to getting more comments. I think wht matters is wht u write abt and how u write on ur blog. I personally only comment on those blogs which r written by genuine ppl...who hav a good style of writing. :) U r one of them!!

Anonymous said...

Ria, thanks for counting me one as genuine. hehe

yes its more abt content and the quality that matters and shud matter :)

Anonymous said...

Yup Pallav there are few who do that and many times u see a geek droppin by and askin us to visit. i detest such folks!!

Anonymous said...

hey J, there are some people who do that, but to date i have not came across such people who do the same. not at least who read me regularly.

but yes some outsiders have been doing the same none of who read me or i read them. there are some free for all psychos who wud drop in out of no where and offer u advice when u say suffer a break up or a not so good situation...

i can name such people but wud stop short of it :)

Anonymous said...

hehe harshita, the same matters to me too :)

cotnent and the quality the 2 most imp factors of the blog :)

Anonymous said...

hey mads i read ur blog thru reader though u did update it very rarely :)

tanx for droppin

Anonymous said...

right on anwesa :) some things just connect and then u wanna visit that space too often :)

Anonymous said...

hey Kajal, nice to see u concur here that the content and the quality moreso the lines that hit you in the mind than the gender...

i havent read chriz so i m not sure how he does. its his personal choice and then i believe in to each his own!!!

This topic was something which was hitting me some time back and i m happy to put it here.

hey one thing if u cud tell me how cud i join the writers lounge?

Anonymous said...

just leave your email ID in the shoutbox(chat box) at the lounge and I'll invite you. :D

Benny said...

ha..even i was in a quandrary for d same reason..But jus concluded gender does'nt matter,but only d content, after seein ur blog..come on dude..u hav lotsa comments!!check out my blog if possi
www.itismyworldhere.blogspot.com
comment plz :p

Sneha Shrivastava said...

content, matter and length of the post matters me a lot.lambi post poori nahi padhi jati.:)
I am a lazy bone, U see.:)

I'll try 2 be truthful said...

aisa hota to , aj mera infinte comments hote!!!!

cutestangel said...

I dont think it matters that a blogger is male or female what is more important is that the blog is interesting and fun to read and pleasing to the eye and that it becons you to want to visit it again and again.

cutestangel said...

I dont think it matters that a blogger is male or female what is more important is that the blog is interesting and fun to read and pleasing to the eye and that it becons you to want to visit it again and again.

Gauri Mathur said...

Yes You are right Quality and the imp factor Innocence plays the key role:):)

The Geekie said...

well quality matters d most

Anonymous said...

yup geekie

Anonymous said...

agreed G :)

Anonymous said...

thanks kajal for making me part of WL :)

Anonymous said...

on spot N :)

Anonymous said...

sneha agreed :) long post mere se likhi jati hai but padhi nahi jaati

Anonymous said...

thanks benny wud drop in bi ur blog :)

Anonymous said...

amrita, is it ?